There's a world out there that we should see.

LIVE. LIFE. OUT. LOUD.

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

6/22/10 - How do you say "Sandia"?

Doesn't it look like heaven?!


We woke up at 6am to get each of our showers in then take advantage of the breakfast buffet. It was delightful  We were out the door by 7:45am and on our 2 hours bus ride to Quebrada Honda (the town where Karen lives). Karen and I talked the entire time. There’s barely quiet time with us except for when we’re reading and even then we always interrupt with more stories then end up talking again, haha.



BREAKFAST!


Welcome home to a house torn apart by Princessa (dog) and Diego (cat)


The mosquito net we sleep in though I still get eaten alive - new blood


We arrived in her town at 10:15am and relaxed until we had to head to school and teach her 3rd and 5th graders at 12:30pm. Karen teaches science to the 3rd-6th graders. Karen introduced me first to the 6th graders. They all can ask me questions but everyone’s pretty shy. One boy asked if I was single and Karen translated, “Yes and not looking” haha. I got to play a game with all of them where we put the numbers 1-4 on each corner of the classroom then all the kids get up, Karen covers my eyes, while the kids scatter throughout the room to whichever corners and I say a number in Spanish and whichever kids are in that corner that I call out, have to sit down. We do that until there’s only 1 person left standing.

Karen teaching the 6th graders


After that, Karen introduced me to the 5th graders and their questions were all about futbol since I was holding one in my hands. They girls asked which grade I’m playing with when we play 5th vs 6th graders at break and I said 5th, they all yelled and clapped.
Too cute. We played the same numbers game with them and they loved it. As soon as it was break at 3pm, we walked out of the classroom and 5 girls grabbed my hands and walked with me, arms around my waist. They were so sweet. We played for 45 minutes. I had a plastic headband on and I clearly forgot since I did a header when a ball was flying through the airport and bounced off my head, and broke in two immediately. We all laughed.

After futbol, we went to plant onions and radishes in the garden so the kids can learn for themselves and it’s part of Karen’s program. The kids barely know English but one girl had a book and they would ask, “How are ju?” They taught me to say “Sandia” (which is watermelon in Spanish) and I taught them how to say “Watermelon” which sounded more like “waterrrrmerron” with their accents  A few minutes later, the girls were pointing at the sky saying “lluvia” (rain), Karen looks and yells “ruuuuuun!” and within seconds, it begins to pour! We all scurried beneath the school building while a few girls purposely got wet and played in the mud. The girls got an umbrella from home then walked us to the bus stop.

I miss them already :(


Waiting for our bus to go home from school - there are plenty more pics such as these that made the time go by that much faster


And we attempted to snap our fingers how everyone does it and we were unsuccessful BUT it was great fun trying!


We got home around 5:30pm and ate a tomato and cucumber salad with tomato soup. We watched some friends then “My Father the Hero”. I was exhausted so I fell asleep with my book on my chest not even opening once. We fell asleep by 9pm.

Sidenote: The bathroom is outside in the small cement area and everyone is just always sweaty and clammy feeling so you’re never clean for too long. I don’t like that.

Karen's backyard

No comments:

Post a Comment