There's a world out there that we should see.

LIVE. LIFE. OUT. LOUD.

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

6/21/10 - 10 hour layover

I couldn't even escape the Harry Potter madness at the airport...REALLY?!


Thank goodness I packed on my day off (Friday) so when I woke up at 5am, I was ready to go. Jesse scared me when she was sitting at the table when I turned around, haha. This was probably the funniest car ride to the airport at 5:30am. We were going through the tolls and when the lady gave her change back, she pressed the quarter down so hard in her palm so we kept reenacting that with different reactions, hilarious. Then that brought memories back from using a $50 bill at the toll booth when we have to do 6 different things and the toll guy got the license plate number before we passed through. Us and tolls do not mix OR there will always be a story.

Flying into San Salvador Airport


I’m currently sitting in the lounge area (trust me, not as fancy as it sounds). It’s 6 chairs that face outside.

Sidenote: Backstreet Boys just came on over the airport radio in El Salvador.

I flew out from Orlando at 7am this morning and arrived in El Salvador at 7:45am (2 ½ hour flight) with the time difference. I’ve got until 6:40pm to board my flight to Nicaragua so only 8 more hours to go. You’d think I’d go nuts with all this time waiting but I’m really enjoying this quiet time reading, listening to music and Pastor Mark’s sermons and enjoying the scenery. It’s beautiful here  We’ll see if I feel the same way in a couple of hours…

About 15 minutes ago, I was approached by a young airport employee asking if I speak Spanish which I don’t so then 3 other Salvadorian young men attempting to think of some English vocab to put together and somehow tell me that I have to move from where I’m sitting since there’s an airplane coming in. They did a very poor job at trying to communicate this. I got, out of their 3 English words used, that my flight was changed from Taca Airline to Delta and is now departing at 1pm. Thankfully another employee knew English and she said that I simply have to move from the area since an incoming Delta flight will arrive at 1pm. I started laughing because it was so not what the guys were trying to say. They were saying, “Uno. Boarding Passengers” then spoke all Spanish looking at me intently like I’m supposed to know what they’re saying. Haha

Note to self: Do not attempt to have a dance party by yourself in a country that you don’t speak the language whilst listening to your ipod…in the airport. When in doubt, sit down.

This airport is small and quiet. LOVING this atmosphere. In order for me to regroup and get all my energy back, I need serious down time so this is simply lovely. I think it’s funny when people ask who I’m traveling with when I go places and I tell them that I’m flying alone but my friend will pick me up at the airport like I’m supposed to find someone to travel with every single time I want to get away. I don’t think so. That’s just silly. I think it’s weird that people aren’t comfortable traveling or flying alone. I guess that’s the difference between being dependent and independent. At least that’s the vibe I get.

It’s now 1600 hours and I’m antsy FOR SURE. This is how I’ve been sitting for the past 6 hours. My bum has got no feeling.


I arrived in Managua, Nicaragua around 8pm and when I was searching for my luggage, I must have had a determined look on my face because Karen thought I looked mad, haha. Karen was waving over everybody while I still had to go through customs. I was so happy to see her face. They have these huge windows where you can see everything looking for their luggage then once you pass through customs, you go out the sliding doors where tons of people are waiting to pick up the people arriving.

I made it, SISTER!




We stayed at the Best Western across the street from the airport since it’s dangerous to take taxi’s in general, especially at night. We ate at the hotel and caught up on life: guys, work, and where else we want to travel. Then we each read our books and fell asleep by 11.

No comments:

Post a Comment