There's a world out there that we should see.

LIVE. LIFE. OUT. LOUD.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Liberia, Costa Rica - Day 2 - GIRLS JUST WANNA HAVE FUN!

After our 14 hour nap...we woke up around 8am (after laughing hysterically that we just slept THAT long) and headed to the supermarket for some waters.

We also found out and paid for our zip line excursion which included that, horseback riding, a very long waterslide and a buffet meal. We stopped at the bank and Karen was extremely excited to get dollars instead of the Cordoba used in Nicaragua. In Costa Rica, dollars are accepted everywhere (in Nicaragua as well but it's easier using their currency there).
Waiting for her dollars...
There was a young girl that was selling some sort of food in a large bowl.  Karen asks, "What's inside? What kind of meat?" the girl replies w/ "Ground beef" so Karen says, "We're vegetarians" then the girl says that it's just rice and potatoes. Haha, funny how she changes what's inside it depending on what we eat. Clearly, we didn't buy anything.

We went to the beach for a couple hours and let me tell you how we always thought we were out there for AT LEAST 3 hours (it felt that way) and every time we checked the time, it was only an hour. It just wasn't that comfortable laying on the sand as opposed to a comfy chair so we grew antsy quickly.
I could not get over just how patient this guy was waiting for waves...he literally stood like that for an hour (NO exaggeration) and when a wave finally did come, he'd attempt to ride it then do more waiting...it was crazy.
Shortly after taking these pics and walking towards "Beach Bums" - I say, "Karen....Karen, look at the lady in the ocean w/ a shower cap on" - we saw it all. 

We stopped at this restaurant on the beach called "Beach Bums" - I almost forgot I was in another country when we were eating here because they played American music and there were Americans everywhere and all you heard was English.
I LOVE the beach in the background in this picture a lot.



I had the National Dish of Costa Rica - Pollo Casado (rice, beans, plantains (which I didn't care for much), chicken  - VERY good
We then walked, kinda far, to the post office in order to send some love to our people back home. 
Let me tell you how we were in the gift store looking for postcards and I tell say, "Karen, there's 7 postcards for $1 over here" and she gives me one of her "Karen looks/faces" which are absolutely priceless. She turned to look at me and lowered her chin (making it a double chin) with her eyes wide. It's so hard to explain but HILARIOUS. I started laughing so hard in the middle of the store.  
After a full morning at the beach and walking around lots, we'd each shower and relax reading our books...basically waiting to go out later on. 
Just before taking this picture, I was doing something and Karen was in the bathroom and she hears a song come on by Lil Wayne. (It was his newer song called "I'm Single")
Karen: Is he single?
Kristina: Who?
Karen: Lil Wayne.
Kristina: I don't know. (I then proceed to sarcastically say) Why, you want me to hook you two up?
We both just laugh.
This would be me jotting down bullet points in my journal to remember to write for this very blog.
Us lounging in between all of our daily activities and going out at night became somewhat of a routine and what a vacation truly feels like. 
FUNNY STORIES AHEAD. So as we're both reading and listening to whatever songs are on my iphone, a song comes on and this is how the story goes:
Karen: Oh! This is my favorite song! Who is this? Cherry Poppin' Daddies?
Kristina: (I look at Karen w/ a disgusted/confused look on the my face) What?
Karen: Cherry Poppin' Daddies (her saying it a second time and more sure of herself than a question)
Kristina: (Still looking at her like, seriously?!")
Karen: (Karen grabs my phone to look and see who it is instead of guessing anymore) The name of the band is "Eagle Eye Cherry" and the song is "save tonight" - AHAHHAHAHAAHA
(At this point, we are laughing hysterically and crying because we're laughing so hard)
Kristina: You realize that would literally mean, "Daddies popping people's cherries" right?
We laughed so incredibly hard and still do when we remind each other of this.

I was reading "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold and came across a hilarious sentence. For those of you who are not familiar w/ this book, it's basically about a young girl who is murdered at the age of 14 and basically watches her family and her killer from heaven (she tells the story from her perspective). So since she misses out on first kisses, proms...etc, she watches her sister fall in love - blah blah. The sentence read, "Clarissa, giggly w/ both fear and lust, had unlocked her privates and slept w/ Brian" - I laughed out loud then shared this w/ Karen. Who would EVER say that?! 

Karen was reading a "People" magazine and it was the new book recommendations page. She says out loud, "Oh, now this is my kinda book" (and she begins to read the description, "In this powerful, if sometimes graphically sexual...." - I stopped her there and said, "Enough said, that sounds about right." haha

Again, we're both reading and listening to music and the song "Airplanes" by MIA comes on and Karen says, "Is it bad that this song reminds me of student teaching?" - I look at her and just start laughing and she says, "My teacher loved this song!" ahaha (This is only funny if you know the song) 

THE MADNESS (for tonight) BEGINS NOW....
Our most timid picture of the night...
Let me tell you just how fun taking "timer" pictures is too much fun - setting up the timer then racing back to pose for the pictures...I could do that for an entire night. 
This is Nikole from Washington State. We met her and a few others at the bar called "Lizards". 
It was ladies night at lizards which consisted of free drinks for ladies from 9-11pm...
So my mentality was "drink as much possible in this 2 hour window"....
Little did I know...
Sidenote: This local Costa Rican guy named "Bernie" was OBSESSED w/ my hair and molested it any chance he got..
...that the Tequila would creep up....
Oh so unexpectedly...every time we "posed" for a picture...Karen did that stance and I was just all over the place 
We were waiting, impatiently, for more shots/drinks
Karen kept telling me to look at my watch - to show how long we've been waiting for more drinks
The longer we waited....
Pretty sure I was simply dancing all night and for some reason, I love making this face that my niece taught me 
...the more shots/doubles we took..
LAUGH W/ NO TEETH!! 
Air guitar...perhaps? 
Dancing w/ the locals!
Bailar!! Bailar!!
Having the time of our lives...
"Sister, Sister"
Another great story: So before we even started drinking, we were sitting outside at a table and I whisper to Karen, "Don't look now but there's this big girl w/ the most hilarious dress on" - Karen looks and turns to me and begins to giggle. I say, "We're getting a picture at some point w/ her in it tonight" and look was at the bar! I screamed, "KAREN! Un foto!!!" PRICELESS smile on Karen's face!
Picture w/ the bartender 
Oh...my drink jumped onto my dress... 
The girl that Karen has her arm around was the girl she was talking to whilst waiting for me to get off the plane. She saw her everywhere and always wearing the same dress!
Our friends for the night: Michelle (a loca), Nikole and Nikole's friend Filip (from Belgium)



Girls night out!! 

Karen started talking to this guy and apparently his name was Frank but I insisted on calling him Jerry - NO IDEA why 
This makes me laugh because our faces aren't even in the pic and my dress and legs just look ridiculous
The bartender left for a brief moment and I screamed, "KAREN! Let's go bartend!!"
I, personally, think that I look professional. Karen, on the other hand, posing w/ an empty bottle AND the cap still on...not so much, haha





This CRACKS me up! All I hear is Karen say, "Kristina! Take the picture!" and that's the pose she does. 
This picture pretty much sums up the entire night and will remain the background on my phone until we see each other again in June 
We headed to the supermarket at midnight to buy waters for our zip line excursion in just  6 hours and apparently we also bought gold fish (that I barely ate) and Karen got a $10 box of triscuits...stupid Tequila.
My face is disgusting but it looks as if that car was attempting to back up..I'm in the way...and Karen thought it was time for a picture....


No comments:

Post a Comment