There's a world out there that we should see.

LIVE. LIFE. OUT. LOUD.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Liberia, Costa Rica - Day 1 - WAKE UP, LIBERIA!

I fell asleep on Monday night at 8pm and only for 2 hours then was awake from 10:30pm until Johanna came to pick me up at 2:30am. (She thought it would take her longer to get to my house and insisted that I be at the airport 3 hours in advance, haha) Such a fun ride at 3am to the airport, thanks Johanna!!

My luggage was exactly 50lbs, for the first time EVER. Perhaps it was the 60 granola bars I packed for Karen and I to eat, hahah! And we barely ate any! We were gone most of the time and who really wants to eat that many granola bars the entire time?! Our mentality was to save money on food so we can spend more on adventure, either way though we both ate good and did everything we wanted to. (Except jump from a waterfall...)
So now it's 4am and I'm bored in the airport so I call work since those are the only people up at this hour. Wesley answers and I say, "Hey Wes!" and you hear him say, "Oh God, what do you want" hahahah He then passed the phone to Greg and we began to have an interesting conversation about "fanny packs" or "belly packs" or " ass packs". Here's the story: I was working w/ Wesley and James and we overheard Wesley informing a guest he could bring his "fanny pack" and that was all James and I needed to hear and we died laughing. Wesley picks on me for saying a guy looks "swell" because that's how I describe Jason Statham (LOVE him).  So as I'm talking to Greg, I tell him to tell Wesley, "Don't worry, I'll be safe with my fanny pack" so Greg says that to Wesley and you hear him say "I hope you have a swell time!" Greg and I proceed to have a debate about this "fanny pack" situation now. For example, is there a more modernized word for this "fanny pack"? And most people don't wear them on their "fanny's" so wouldn't it be called a "belly pack" BUT then again who really calls their ass a "fanny" so wouldn't it be called an "ass pack?" This went on for at least 10 minutes...

I slept the entire hour flight to Atlanta and then I slept the entire 3 hour flight from Atlanta to Liberia, Costa Rica. I woke up a half hour before landing and was highly entertained by the 2 men beside me. I had the window seat, the middle seat was empty and there was a man in the aisle seat (on my side) and the other man was on the other aisle seat beside him. They must have been traveling together for work because they'd been to Nicaragua, Panama, Costa Rica and other places as well. First of all, they were both pretty drunk off their little bottles of liquor. I'm overhearing these guys yelling/talking about random things such as one of them shouts out, "One thing my father always told me was - It's all good son." We're flying over the Pacific and see a golf course on a sort of island (it was the 4 seasons resort) and the guy beside me yells, "Holyshit! Is that a golf course?!" Then as we begin to land, he yells "WAKE UP, LIBERIA!" I was laughing out loud and so happy I slept the whole plane ride because I'm sure I would have gotten annoyed otherwise. As we land, the lady announces that we're in Costa Rica and says, "Pura Vida" (meaning "full of life" essentially) and one guy shouts out, "WHAT?! You mean we're not in Key West?! I bought a ticket to Key West!" HILARIOUS - It took a while for people to get off the plane so one of the guys is growing impatient and says, "Well you can tell we're on TICA time now!" then the guy beside me says (very nonchalantly) "Why don't we take her back up and go round a few more times" - Now, the entire back end of the plane was laughing at these guys. They both are rushing me to get up and go before them since I had been sleeping then I hear behind me, "I'll buy that Grey Goose off ya for $45" (talking to some old man that bought duty free) About 20 minutes later, we're going through customs and I hear him yell "I'll buy it for $40!" hahahha
Jumped in a taxi to take us to playa del CoCo
Karen was waiting for me as soon as I got off the plane. The last time we saw each other was 7 months ago when I visited her in Nicaragua so we were SUPER excited!! The Liberia airport is very small and basically looks like a large hut since it's outside and no A/C. The cab ride was about 30 minutes to the beach, not even. We stayed at this place called, "Cabinas CoCoazul" for $25 a night. (Can't beat that!) Everything was within walking distance: the beach (most important), restaurants/bars, supermarket, internet..etc. This area is very touristy and almost everyone there (the Costa Ricans) spoke English. I didn't care for that so much because it takes away from being in another country but that's just minor compared to the awesome memories made!
Our first stop (after showering and changing) was to "Z Lounge" which had THE BEST NACHOS EVER! 
Karen ordered Blood Mary's which I decided that was my first and last because I didn't care for them much.
...picture doesn't show that I didn't care for the Bloody Mary, haha
Playa del CoCo

Fun fun in the ocean!!
Karen and Kristina back at it again...to cause some chaos in Costa Rica!!
This is us walking back from the beach to the supermarket for water then a nap. The conversation went like this: Karen - "I want to take a nap" Kristina - "I don't want to take a nap (knowing darn well that if I took a nap, I'd stay sleeping because of all the traveling all day) Karen - "You DON'T want to take a nap?!" (like I just said the world was coming to an end) So, in the end, I agreed for just a nap...
Karen doesn't have this in Nicaragua and was reminiscing of the goodness...
This guy was OUT - so cute

So this "nap" we decided to take turned into 14 hours of sleeping!! We fell asleep at 4 or 5pm and didn't wake up until 7 or 8am...THE NEXT DAY! - hahahhaha! It was fine, we both needed sleep after hours and hours of Karen on her bus to Costa Rica and me on the plane - hilarious

No comments:

Post a Comment