There's a world out there that we should see.

LIVE. LIFE. OUT. LOUD.

Sunday, March 30, 2014

POLAND - DAY 3 - FIRST DAY IN CHURCH IN TOMY

May 30, 2014

We woke up in the morning and right when I took this picture, a squirrel ran by!
I believe the village that we are staying in is called Zakosciele. NO IDEA how to pronounce it.

Proem is a Christian Organization and the office is based in Warsaw for over 20 years. 
(If I'm correct, which is slim, I believe that Proem camps started in the village that we are staying in and then became much bigger and expanded to the church Tomy as well as the new building in Lodz)


I woke up around 6:45am to shower and then go to breakfast early in order to finish uploading pictures and my blog from Day 1 & 2. The internet is slow here so it takes extra long BUT I'm adamant about posting each blog each night regardless of how long it takes. Which means that I'm staying up later.


These are the cabins that we are staying and the main hotel (or castle as I like to call it) is what has internet. So it's cold and pitch black walking in the night. The cabins are nice. We slept with our doors unlocked last night because we couldn't figure out how to lock the door. 
Maddie and I were walking to the cabin this morning and I was saying how we didn't know how to lock the door and she said, "I watched the lady show Taryn" and I laughed and said, "Well, apparently Taryn didn't watch." HAHA


TREES


This is the entrance to the church. It basically looks like a tiny cafe from the outside.


And it is! 
They are fancy.


Of course there's a "Vegas" place to go and lose your money! 


 Rafel (the head Pastor and not sure if I'm spelling his name correctly) told us that we have plenty of time to sleep in Poland...there's so much time during the service. HAHA


Kimberly and I are with our headsets on. Luckily service was translated.


The name of the church is Tomy 
Tomaszow Mazowiecki is the actual full name of the town.
(I'm trying to get the names of towns and places that we go and everything about this organization information so forgive me if any of it is incorrect. I'll adjust/correct as needed.)


They had baptisms on the Sunday we went to church so that was pretty awesome to witness. Everyone told a brief summary as to how they came to Tomy and why they want to be baptized. 
Pretty amazing


The person who spoke this morning had a great message.
You become like your friends. 
Who you follow affects where you go and who you’ll become. 
He showed a Home Alone 2 clip of Kevin running in the airport thinking he was going the right way but in actuality, he was going the wrong way.  Macaulay Culkin is in rehab and has said that his life is a lot like the movies. Spending his Christmas’s alone. He has all the money in the world to buy anything but he spends his time with no one.

In John 10:10, Jesus says, “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” 
Sometimes we get so wrapped up in the negative that we don’t pay attention to all of the good that’s happening around us.

We may not always admit it but we’re always following someone or something. And often times, we end up following the wrong people or the wrong things.
He spoke about John 10:1-6 and how we are like sheep.
Just an all around good message. 


The picture below shows the church as it was before. It used to be a movie theatre before being renovated into a church.


Water in glass bottles.
Love.



The band playing us a couple of their songs from their new album.


We were curious as to why there were holes at the bottom of the door and Rafel said it's ventilation. All bathrooms have doors like that. Then he made a joke and said, "God is always watching you!" - HAHA


This was one of the church walls. 
I'd love my room to have a wall like that.


I purchased more water and some Polish chocolate which was simply divine.


 Now this is how alcohol should be spelled. 
ALKOHOLE 
(just like it sounds)


This is a downtown area which apparently gets trampled with people at night and they are doing construction right in the middle.



I had to take a picture in front of the Kebab place and Dino.
If I ever have a boy, his name would be Dino.
I've loved that name since I was little.



I pretended as if I was excited to take a picture of an actor that we could clearly not read the name or would know who it would be. But it was like walking around Las Vegas or Hollywood Blvd in CA.





Great name


This is the name of the city we were walking in and where the building is that we are helping renovate.
Lodz is the capital of the county --> Lodtzkie


We went to the new building and Rafel told us a lot of information about the building and everyone that's a part of the planting of it. It's going to act as a halfway house for youth. It's not a detention center but it's not a church. It's a place where kids can go and essentially be loved and taken care of. On Monday, we'll be painting and renovating and then later in the day we'll meet the kids but it's about building relationships and just listening to them and talking with them. 

This is a part of the new building.


Everyone is so hospitable and they feed us so well.



This is the line for the coffee - HAHA


We pretty much try and connect to wifi everywhere we go. Jeff and I were NOT successful here.


I'm very excited.

It's pretty awesome to see such love and things that we do where we live, thousands of miles across the world. Love is universal. God is universal. 

The round cookie things were delightful. 
We are all pretty much on coffee here and sleep on the bus every chance we get.
Or at least I do!


Rafel telling us about the building and organization.


Jeff telling them about Verve while Rafel translates. At one point, Jeff was saying how there was a pimp, strippers, a fire breathing clown and a lion tamer and Rafel only asks about the lion tamer and asks, "Is this someone who dances with lions?" HAHA


It's all about BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS (which are lasting and can take quite some time) and merely LOVING ON PEOPLE.


We ate some soup called, "Zurek" which translates to "Sour Soup" and it was VERY good.


After dinner, walking back to our bus, we passed a cute little place.


Jamie has this issue of sleeping EVERYWHERE.
She had fallen asleep MINUTES after we were all just talking and we looked at her and were like, "Jamie?" and she had her head forward and her hand on the seat and wasn't responding then I laughed and took a picture with flash and she woke up from all of that. 
It's rather entertaining and I laugh and take pictures before I help in any kind of way, HAHA.


 We left Lodz a little late (8:30pm) so we didn't get back until close to 10pm. I tried uploading pictures and my blog then but it was now 12:30am and I still wasn't finished. SO, it's not 640am and I got to the castle (main building that has internet) by 610am for me to finish my blog this morning and post it. I refuse to let technology forbid me from my goal of posting my blogs each night. It's now a competition between, technology, life and I!

Oh! Everyone on this trip knows about Big Ang and even the people of Poland do! 
I miss her :(

It's now 7am and I have to get back to my cabin so that Jamie and put cornrows in my hair. 
SURE DID just say that.
Getting my painting attire and "look" prepared.

HAPPY MONDAY!






No comments:

Post a Comment